Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Digg: How to get banned in less than 30 seconds!

Yes it's true. My Digg account was disabled within 30 seconds of submitting my first story. Here is my sad tale.

Bad Digg Clone Site

First off, I was out in cyberspace and came across a website about celebrity gossip that was totally a Digg knockoff. I really like Digg and decided that I would let the Digg community take matters into their own hands.

Submission

I entered the URL of the page linked in the paragraph above. On the next page I classified the article as Technology with the headline of "Crash this Digg Clone". The description attached to the article was a simple explanation of how I felt that if enough Digg users visited the site, it would crash. Finally, the voice of the people would prevail and justice would be meted out swiftly and fairly.

Immediate Success

The post went up successfully and I added a comment to further explain my motivation. After publishing the comment I saw that my article had been dugg 4 times already (and yes, mine counted as the first one). I then went to the Upcoming Stories tab so I could monitor how many people were digging my article. However, I was unable to find it, even when searching the exact title. I then tried to log in and got the following screen:


Now you know

I don't know why my account was disabled, nor do I know what "misuse" constitutes. However, I hope that this will help other Digg users to understand the system and keep their accounts.

PS I also am hoping that someone can help me get my account back. Leave a comment if you can help.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button